Saturday, June 4, 2011

from service dog to surfice dog: do I make you proud?



This video is about a dog who was raised to be a service dog but all she ever really wanted to do was surf. The video is a multi-layered, sophisticated and inspiring statement about teaching, learning, and growing. I chose it because it helps me remember that my role as a teacher is to help students become who they want to become and not who I think they should be. It helps me remember the mystery of discovery that goes along with learning. And, as a special education teacher, the piece of the video showing the paraplegic young man learning to walk is a powerful and moving example of the intimate and minute level of support (whether physical or intellectual) that teachers can offer to students in meeting their own goals.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGODurRfVv4

No comments:

Post a Comment