Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Learning Theory Week 3 T2P

This week, I reflected about the relevance of behaviorism in teaching practice.  I feel a little more open to behaviorist theory when I notice, for example, that as I struggle to get used to the new mouse pad of the mac, I have "learned" to use the mouse pad effectively through the immediate reinforcement of getting the result I wanted.   In any case,  I do think that behaviorism has a role to play in helping students as a group create the classroom habits that allow us to work together as a group.

I also would like to think about incorporating a "meta" reflection with students in special education.  I think that understanding how the brain works can be particularly helpful for students in special education, as they can understand their own thinking.  They can also be helped to understand that some teaching methods may work better for them than others.  As a special education teacher, an important role I have is to help students understand themselves as learners.

I also would like to incorporate the RRSQCC into my teaching.  I like that it has elements both of reflection and memory (the first R) as well as elements of constructivism (the 2 C's).  This seems like a good tool to use to encourage students to offer their opinions and connect to the material, thus creating the kind of classroom environment I was envisioning in my T2P statement.



Response to comments:
T2P Statement relating to the value of freedom and classroom management

If I as a teacher lead a discussion with my students about respecting the value of each student's ideas, and facilitate a group discussion about norms of behavior such as hand raising and listening when someone else is talking, and provide positive reinforcement when such norms are met, then a culture of freedom and fearless learning is promoted.

2 comments:

  1. Eileen,

    Could you formulate a T2P statement relating the role of establishing a routine in the classroom using behaviorist learning theory and your own values of freedom (your moral stance) as a teacher? And include a specific instructional practice you might employ to accomplish this lofty goal?

    I know you can. Looking forward to reading it.

    GNA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Response to comments:
    T2P Statement relating to the value of freedom and classroom management

    If I as a teacher lead a discussion with my students about respecting the value of each student's ideas, and facilitate a group discussion about norms of behavior such as hand raising and listening when someone else is talking, and provide positive reinforcement when such norms are met, then a culture of freedom and fearless learning is promoted.

    ReplyDelete