Monday, June 6, 2011

Week 1 T2P essay for Learning Theories

Today I observed the use of small group work to a great extent.  This allowed me to get to know my fellow students well.  We also spent a lot of time sharing our own experiences in discussing the meanings and content we are studying.  This allowed me to bring myself fully into the classroom as a learner.  As a future teacher, I feel this is one of the most important aspects of teaching:  to invite students to bring themselves wholly into the dialogue.

As a teacher, I would also incorporate the use of "down time" or reflection time.  Very often, students are given a load of information up until the bell at which time they are rushed to another class where more information is throw at them.  Having times of silence during learning can be very powerful.

The other teaching tool I observed today was the concept map.  This is an excellent learning tool for students who are very visual.  It is a good way not only to teach concepts but also to teach students how to organize their own ideas.

Working together in a small group was a good way to practice interpersonal skills and cooperative project development.  As a teacher, I would use this process to help students develop these skills.

"If... . . then. . . . statement:


  1. If students feel comfortable and emotionally safe in the learning environment, then learning will flourish because they won't be afraid to make mistakes and take risks which are essential components of learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment